Why Social Emotional Learning:
- http://www.pgbovine.net/OET-Draft-Grit-Report-2-17-13.pdf (From the Department of Education)
- Let It Ripple: Website and Videos Highlighting the Value and Science of Character Education: http://www.letitripple.org/
- How Children Succeed: http://www.paultough.com/ (PAUL TOUGH)
- NPR clip with Paul Tough: http://www.npr.org/2012/09/04/160258240/children-succeed-with-character-not-test-scores (PAUL TOUGH)
- This American Life Episode with Paul Tough: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/474/back-to-school (PAUL TOUGH)
- "The Role of Moral and Performance Character Strengths in Predicting Achievement and Conduct Among Middle School Urban Students” http://bit.ly/17uZa2i (2013 research study)
- Social Emotional Learning and the Common Core: http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_to_integrate_social_emotional_learning_into_common_core
- Eric Jensen’s number one life skill article: http://www.jensenlearning.com/news/your-students-number-one-life-skill/brain-based-teaching
- Eric Jensen Five Things Most People Don’t Know about Poverty and Student Achievement http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/finding_common_ground/2013/10/five_things_most_people_dont_know_poverty_and_student_achievement.html?cmp=SOC-SHR-TW
- CBC Podcast on the decline of IQ as a measurement of intelligence: http://www.cbc.ca/thinkaboutit/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2395829163
- The Middle Years: What Matters in Transition Through Middle School http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/apr11/vol68/num07/Movin%27-Up-to-the-Middle.aspx
- Want Better Project Based Learning? Use Social Emotional Learning http://www.edutopia.org/blog/project-based-learning-social-emotional-learning-thom-markham
Angela Duckworth & Grit
- Angela Duckworth’s TED Talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_the_key_to_success_grit?embed=true
- Angela Duckworth Psychology of Achievement Presentation at KIPP Houston: http://kipphouston.org/angela-duckworth-psychology-achievement
- Can Perseverance be Taught? By Angela Duckworth https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/content/can-perseverance-be-taught
- Angela Duckworth on How to Build Grit: http://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2014/03/develop-grit/
- Angela Duckworth on the Today Show http://www.today.com/klgandhoda/facebook-or-homework-how-resist-distractions-8C11349604
- Angela Duckworth Interview about winning a MacArthur Genius Award in 2013 and Other Articles http://www.macfound.org/fellows/889/
- Angela Duckworth on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2013/11/01/240779578/is-having-grit-the-key-to-success
- Duckworth Lab Website at UPENN:https://sites.sas.upenn.edu/duckworth
- Facebook, Angry Birds, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and other pursuits which bring pleasure in the moment but are immediately regretted: http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-14/news/42995617_1_true-grit-upper-darby-school-district-self-control
- What sets High Achievers Apart, Q & A with Angela Duckworth http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/12/high-achievers.aspx
- McRaith’s blog summary of Angela’s Psychology of Achievement Presentation http://mrmcraith.blogspot.com/2013/11/upenn-grit-workshop-visit-2-laurence.html
- McRaith’s blog summary of 1st visit with Angela at UPENN http://mrmcraith.blogspot.com/2013/10/notes-from-visit-to-upenn.html
- 5 Steps to Foster Grit in the Classroom: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/foster-grit-in-classroom-andrew-miller
- The Danger of the Grit narrative: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/independent_schools/2014/03/whats_dangerous_about_the_grit_narrative_and_how_to_fix_it.html
- Introducing the Character Lab http://vimeo.com/79681469
- Duckworth Article: Goal Setting https://upenn.app.box.com/DuckworthKirby
- Duckworth Article 2009: Positive Predictors of Teacher Effectiveness http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~duckwort/images/Positive%20predictors%20of%20teacher%20effectiveness.2009.pdf
- Grit article by Duckworth, 2007 http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~duckwort/images/Grit%20JPSP.pdf
- If/Then Statements from Duckworth http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~duckwort/images/publications/DuckworthGrantLoewOettingenGollwitzer_2011_Self-regulationStrategiesImproveSelf-DisciplineinAdolescents.pdf
- Growth Mindset Graphic: https://twitter.com/MrsASwenson/status/403365443059982338/photo/1
- Carol Dweck: Short Video on Growth Mindset & Student Motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTXrV0_3UjY
- Short Video Explanation of Growth Mindset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JycfeoVzg
- Growth Mindset Gaining Traction http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/09/11/03mindset_ep.h33.html
- Online Link to the Yeager/Walton Research
Dweck 2007 Study http://www.stanford.edu/dept/psychology/cgi-bin/drupalm/system/files/Implicit%20Theories%20of%20Intelligence%20Predict%20Achievement%20Across%20an%20Adolescent%20Transition.pdf
Dweck 2011: Academic Tenacity
- Self Control article about whether it is exhaustible or infinite http://www.fastcodesign.com/3025702/evidence/can-you-boost-your-self-control
- How Much does Self-Control Affect Success? http://theweek.com/article/index/251956/what-one-thing-can-determine-whether-or-not-youre-successful-in-life
- Age of Distraction: Why it’s crucial for students to learn focus http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/12/age-of-distraction-why-its-crucial-for-students-to-learn-to-focus/
- Sesame Street & Executive Functioning: http://www.youtube.com/user/SesameStreet
- Ted Talk: Experience Vs. Memory
- Michel Results 1989: Delaying Gratification http://harbaugh.uoregon.edu/Readings/UGBE/Mischel%201989%20Science,%20Delay%20of%20Gratification.pdf
The Role of Kindness/Empathy:
- Teaching Empathy as a Life Skill: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/empathy-lesson-plan-life-skill-joe-hirsch
- Choose Kind. Website associated with R.J. Palacio's book WONDER. http://choosekind.tumblr.com/resources
- Can Kindness be Taught? http://www.edutopia.org/blog/sel-teaching-kindness-maurice-elias
- Teaching Resilience: http://smartblogs.com/education/2014/02/20/teaching-resilience-reflection/
- Habits of Mentally Strong People: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/18/the-tk-essential-qualitie_n_4760403.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
- Low Income Schools See big Gains in Teaching Mindfulness: http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2014/01/low-income-schools-see-big-benefits-in-teaching-mindfulness/
- What if the Secret to Success is Failure http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/what-if-the-secret-to-success-is-failure.html
- How Not to Talk to Your Kids
Related Resource Lists/Sources For Teachers:
- Edutopia’s Resource List for Teaching Resilience, Grit and Growth Mindset (has about 30 links): http://www.edutopia.org/resilience-grit-resources
- Edutopia Pinterest Board on Teaching SEL (big resource) http://www.pinterest.com/edutopia/teach-sel/
- Summary of the Topic of Grit in Education and Some Links: http://www.middleweb.com/10506/helping-kids-stick-learning/
- David Levin (of KIPP) offers a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) on Teaching Character: https://www.coursera.org/course/teachingcharacter
- James Heckman: The hard facts behind soft skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSmG87MOyV0&feature=youtu.be
- Polaris Charter School Academy http://www.pcachicago.org/watch-our-video/
- KIPP: including the KIPP Character Report Card http://www.kipp.org/our-approach/character
Related Book List Recommendations:Berger, R. (2003). An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Publishing.
Coyle, D. (2009). The Talent Code: Greatness Isn’t Born. It’s Grown. Here’s How. New York, NY: Bantam Books.
Dweck, C.S. (2006). Mindset: How You Can Fulfill Your Potential. New York, NY: Random House.
Jensen, Eric (2013). Engaging Students with Poverty in Mind: Practical Strategies for Raising Achievement. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Maiers, A. (2012). Classroom Habitudes: Teaching Habits and Attitudes for 21st Century Learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Mischel, W. (2014). The Marshmallow Test: Mastering Self Control. Little, Brown and Company.
Palacio. R.J. (2012). Wonder. New York, NY: Random House Publishing.
Pink. D. (2009) Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. New York, NY: Riverhead Books.
Seligman, M. (2007) The Optimistic Child: A Proven Program to Safeguard Children Against Depression and Build Lifelong Resilience. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin.
Tough, P. (2012). How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and The Hidden Power of Character. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin.
We Didn’t Eat the Marshmallow, The Marshmallow Ate Us
(NY Times Article from January 10th)
4 Types of Responses to Positive Events
The Big Study that Connects Self-Control to Health, Wealth, & Public Safety
Teaching Adolescents to become Learners: University of Chicago: June 2012
2003 Research on Counting Blessings